Saturday, February 11, 2012

Car Wrecks Cause Problems


“Wham!” My car slammed into the white truck in front of me. I had just watched the red Mustang coming up behind my green Mazda Protégé.  Even attempting to tap the breaks, I had a feeling of dread the moment before it happened, and as soon as it did, my head began to ache. Luckily that was all that was wrong so I knew, and the Mustang driver came to knock on my window. I slowly rolled down my window, not believing that I had just gotten into yet another car wreck.
Asking if I was okay the driver looked me up and down accusingly. He then asked me if I could call 911, or if I had yet. I dialed the phone number I had been taught since preschool, yet feared to dial. The operator picked up and I went on to tell her where the wreck had happened. She said someone would be there soon and hung up. When the police arrived I began to worry if the accident had been my fault. The officer told us to move the three vehicles to a car wash that was just across the road. Then the questioning began. The officer asked if anyone was injured and no one said anything. She took our information and said I could leave because the accident had not been my fault.
A few hours later my neck began to hurt. I was living in a college dorm, in Statesboro at the time, so I went to my friend’s dorm room. We assumed that it was just a case of whiplash and I would be fine in a few days. My neck hurt for a week or two, and the pain when I tried to sleep was the most miserable pain ever. Heating pads and Tylenol seemed to get rid of the pain, though.
Two years later, due to the car wreck, and 8 hours on a hospital table…
12:25pm: I don’t know the date but today is Monday. As each day passes the pain should and I believe will eventually pass away. The days have become a blended mass of confusion. I don’t remember what time anything happened. Surgery was Tuesday. Mom spent the night with me in room (447) each night and took good care of me. We could have left on Wednesday, but I didn’t feel strong enough yet. The pain was just too intense to handle, so I cried. Mom held my hand. There were tornados that night.
I became allergic to my medicines that night and I also started throwing everything up, prune juice and all. I couldn’t keep any food down. The changed pain medicines three times- until something finally worked.
I slept from Thursday 2pm until time to go home on Friday. When I did get home again I threw up as soon as I got out of the car. I went to my bed and mom got me some medicine for pain and nausea.
I found out last night why she stopped giving me the nausea pill- they made me sick too. Saturday was a blur- I think I slept, refused to eat, and went to the bathroom. Sunday was better, my new motto- I am going to beat this, and God along with my family will help me, because I can not do it alone. Sunday I walked around the house, ate real food, and watched movies. I sat up right.
The ringing/echoing never ends. If I sit up, I will get a headache, but while I am laying down my stomach and back ache. I can lie on my side, either one, but must be careful.
I don’t remember all of the people who said they spoke to me on the phone, but I do remember being surrounded by love and prayers and angels each night.
I do grow stronger each day, today I got up and walked to Mom’s room without her coming to me. I didn’t sleep last night, and although my medicine causes me to drift to sleep, I think my body is saying, “Enough, wake up!”
I then ate and started to write. Laying around for days doing nothing does that to a person. Then I took a shower with Momma’s help, because I am still too weak to be alone.
I would love to log on to the computer and tell the world I am perfectly fine from Facebook, but I am not able to do so until someone can help me reach the computer. Mom left to go to the library so I shall await her return, to ask what I should do with all of this conscious free time.
I am tired now…

1 comment:

  1. This is non-fiction? A story of the reason i visited you in the hospital...?

    ReplyDelete